Humorous public speaking does not need to be overt. Sometimes using things that are close to reality can help inject humor into public speaking. To use something like this effectively, create a print out of this and hand it out.
Here are the 15 things you can say if caught sleeping on the job that can inject public speaking humor.
15. I don’t know...do you think I look better in blue or brown?
14. I was just wondering what it would be like to be dead
13. That was incredible...I was able to see you walk in even though my eyelids were closed. I was reading about this in a book on bio-feed back.
12. I was mentally reviewing the endochronic properties of resuplimated thytimoline for an upcoming (if a student...biology exam) (if otherwise, for an upcoming science conference I will be speaking at). Master saying this and nobody will question what it is.
11. Excuse me, I was just checking my eyelids for pin holes.
10. They told me this would happen when they drew my blood. It seems I have a rare antibody that help people with a rare disease.
9. This is just a 15 minute power nap, like they raved about in that time-management course you sent me to.
8. Whew! Guess the top was left off the White-out a bit too long. You probably got here just in time.
7. I wasn’t sleeping, I was meditating on the company mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm.
6. I was testing my keyboard (or testing the printer ink) for drool resistance.
5. I was doing a highly specific mental exercise to slow down the progression of mental illness that runs in my family. You do not discriminate against the mentally ill do you.
4. Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem.
3. The coffee machine is broken.
2. Someone must have put decaf in the wrong pot.And finally, the number one answer....
1. ...in Jesus name, Amen
Using humor in public speaking can make your words have a life of their own. Do not try to be funny. Rather, include humorous public speaking in your words and let the humor come naturally.